Dry Cough Remedies – Natural Homemade treatments
Dry cough is a type of cough which does not produce phlegm. It often happen at the end of infection like cold, flu and sinus infection after being exposed to some irritants like smoke, chemical fumes and dust. The infection causes the inflammation of the throat and the dry cough is an attempt of the body to remove the inflammation but it is usually has no benefit but also creates discomfort.
3 Home Dry Cough Remedies
- Learn to cough only to the nose and not in the mouth. When you cough keep your mouth closed all the time. It increases the level of oxygen in the body cells and reduces the irritation of the airways and bronchospasm.
- When you have mastered the first remedy for about one to two days learn to cough with your mouth and nose closed. You need to keep your mouth and nose closed while coughing to further increase the oxygen in your body and brain.
- When you sit on a chair, sit down in a comfortable position when you are about to cough. When you are having a bout to cough give your best to relax at the end of usual exhalation, hold your breath while you pinched you nose and the mouth closed all the time until you experience a little discomfort. Pinched the nose and the mouth closed keep coughing without air exchange. In order to increase the CO2 in the airways control the cough receptor cells to calm down which has been irritated by several biochemical factors during the coughing bouts. After you hold your breath and you feel the desire to take a breath make only a short inhalation by just a small sniff. After a sniff focus on relaxing your body muscles especially in the shoulders and in the upper chest to exhale slowly. The exhalation must relax like the natural way you exhale when you don’t have a dry cough.
Few Best Cough Medicines
There are best cough medicines which is available to treat dry cough if the natural dry cough remedies don’t work. These medicines are called antitussives or coughing remedies which suppress the causes. The best dry cough medicines are pholcodine, codein and dextromethorphan. These coughing medicines act by blocking the cough reflexes. Several cough suppressants like honey and lemon coats the throat and provides relief from dry cough. There are many medicines in fot dry cough treatment that can be purchased in drugstores.
Dextromethorphan is the best medicine for dry cough treatment. It is very effective cough suppressant and one of the common ingredients in the OTC cough remedies. Dextromethorphan may cause stomach upset and drowsiness but it rarely cause side effects. Codein is also a very effective dry cough medicine but it is only available with the prescribe description of a physician because it is a narcotic drugs. For kids and toddler with dry cough codein is not prescribed by doctors.
Cough suppressants are constituents of so many coughing remedies that is combined with many active ingredients to prevent distinct symptoms of dry cough. Examples of cough suppressants which is considered as best coughing remedies for dry cough treatment are;
- Codein phosphate tablets 30 mg to 60 mg dosage and to be taken every 4 hours.
- Codein Linctus BP 15 mg to 30 mg in tablet and 5mL to 10mL to be taken three times a day. Coughing remedies and medicines are available in tablet or cough syrup.
- Pholcodine Linctus BP 10mg or 10 mL to be taken three times a day.
Relief from simple cough can be obtain by sucking hard candies and lozenges however it is recommended to not to give toddlers and kids below 3 years old a candy or lozenges because these has choking hazards. Proper rest and normal sleep at night especially for kids makes the body’s natural defense strong against infections.
Household Dry Cough Treatment and Suppressants
Dry cough treatment may also be done at home and without consulting a prescribe doctor. There are many homemade natural cough remedies that can used as a suppressant to dry cough.
- Warm water – water is considered as an effective home remedy for dry cough. Drinking a lot of warm water can ease the cough. Also drinking a mixed honey or lemon juice in warm water three times a day can relive dry cough.
- Gargling is very effective and another effective dry cough remedies at home add some salt in to a warm water and gargle. Drinking a warm spinach juice is also very effective in relieving dry cough. Water from boiled henna leaves is also very effective in treating dry cough.
- Chewing piece of ginger with salt can bring effective relief from dry cough. Chop a raw ginger into small pieces and add to a cup of water can also be helpful. Ginger works by coating the throat and reduce the irritation.
- At night before going to sleep eat at least 3 balls of pepper. Pepper is also one of the best homemade dry cough remedies.
- Drink grape juice and honey- grape has natural antiseptic properties which is good for relieving dry cough, also consuming a spoon of honey before you sleep will ease the pain of dry cough.
Relief from dry cough can be obtained at home by using the natural cough remedies, but in the case of chronic dry cough permanent dry cough remedies is needed. Consult a doctor if the dry cough remedies mentioned does not work.